Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate. What happened? Looking back, what could have been said differently, and what did the situation teach you about choosing your words carefully?

Prompt Response: When I was in middle school, I went to a tiny private Christian school. It was chapel day and we had to wear our chapel uniforms. I was in 6th grade and I got dress coded for my skirt being too short. I was then taken to the principal's office and I started bawling and using informal language because I was so sad, scared and frustrated. I said things more sassy and rude which got me into even more trouble. Looking back, If I used more formal wording and a better tone I could've probably gotten my point across better and not ended up with as many consequences. This situation taught me that I not only need to use more formal wording when talking to adults but to be respectful as well. 

Summary: Today in class we learned and took notes on formal and informal language and revised our paragraphs to make better. 

Reflection:  I really liked the notes we took in class today. It helped me to understand formal and informal language better and I now know when to and when to not use it. Once a revised my paragraph it sounded a lot better. All in all I really enjoyed what we did in class today and learned a lot from it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?

Describe something you will never fully understand.